about the museum
Bishop's Waltham Museum Trust was founded in 1984 to establish and maintain a museum in Bishop's Waltham. Our purpose is to collect, preserve and exhibit items of historical and archaeological interest relating to the town and local area. The collection has increased over the years and continues to this day to provide a focus for the local community to participate in the heritage of the town and the surrounding area.
Today the Museum is situated in the beautiful grounds of Bishop's Waltham Palace, where it is housed in the only remaining part of the lodgings built by Bishop Langton in 1495. This part of the palace was converted into a farmhouse in the 17th century, preserving important parts of the structure. The timber framed building with its huge fireplaces and bread oven provides an ideal setting in which to display our many local artefacts.
Bishop's Waltham Palace in its prime in the 15th century
The palace and its grounds
Bishop’s Waltham Palace, including the museum, is under the control of English Heritage who look after the buildings’ maintenance, health and safety, and presentation of the rest of the Palace.
Management of the museum is the responsibility of a team of unpaid Trustees with a representative from the Parish Council. A team of volunteer stewards, oral history researchers and archivists work on providing excellent customer services when the Museum is open to the public during the summer months. The Museum is an Accreditated Museum under the Arts Council England scheme, a member of the Oral History Society and is recognised for its high standards as an active member of South East Museum Development Programme.
Funding is provided by membership fees, visitor donations, small local grants and book sales within the museum shop.
Chair - Roy Stainton
Treasurer – Nick Whitehead
Secretary – Gill Williams
Collection Manager – Penny Copeland
Volunteer Co-ordinator – Dawn Woodsford
Contact us at: email@example.com